Sunday, January 19, 2014

Raw Edged Applique…

Ohhh I had fun yesterday!  I threw caution to the wind and went for it…Sometimes when you haven’t done something before you just have to jump right in and hope for the best!!  That’s what I did with the  Donner and Blitzen quilt (a Jan Patek design)… and I got ‘er done! 

I put a chocolate brown thread on my machine, moved my needle over to the left and put a more visible foot on my machine.  I did this so that I could get as close to an 1/8” stitching line from the raw edge…(The raw edge isn’t turned under and the whole thing is ironed down using Heat ‘n Bond Lite.)

I raw edged appliqued this project…something that I had never done before!

P1250907

I was worried about the antlers but they turned out great!

P1250908

Slow and steady wins the race!

P1250909

The actual raw edged stitching went fast…and in between swims, I was cool as a cucumber!  Yes, it was another hot one here on the desert!

Then I auditioned sky borders…nope…

P1250914

Nope…nope…nope…oooh yeah!  (You can’t see it but that right check is green with a subtle red thread running through it!)

P1250916

So this is where I ended…I still need to cut out and stitch FIVE stars to the top sky border and I also have to stitch the wee bird under the tree!  But it was late and dinner had to be made…and in order for dinner to be made the ironing board and the cutting mat and all the auditioned fabric had to be put away(…in other words the RV looked like a BOMB had gone off)…my poor hubby!!  Yes, I managed to make a nice dinner…with hardly any threads or Heat n’ Bond shavings in the mix!  But then it wouldn’t be a meal without a few of those things to flavour up the pot..right?

P1250917

SEW… am I happy with the RAW EDGE APPLIQUE? 

Right now I LOVE IT!!  It was FAST and easy… I love the look of the whole runner…I love the way you can SEE the stitching…especially on the antlers…and for something that is only going to be used as a wall hanging and for such a short time I think raw edged is GREAT choice!!

P1250918

When I quilt it I will do either a tight meander or a tight loopty-loop and stars and a very gentle wash…and hope things turn out…!!

P1250919P1250921

I really do love this sweet mat…and I’m happy that I stitched it this way!!  Ask me again AFTER I have washed it!!

Have a SUNNY Sunday and Happy Stitching!~P

16 comments:

  1. Cutest little reindeer I have ever seen! Stay cool...I could send you a snowball from our winter wonderland that arrived last night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love that pattern! I agree with you..if you aren't going to use it a lot, raw edge is so much faster and easier! Sooo cute! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you wash all your quilts? I've never done raw edge applique--yours looks great and was a good choice for that little wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock! I haven't tried raw edge yet. Hmmm I just might have to try it. Enjoy the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your piece is looking lovely, did you use a stabilizer before doing the raw edge stitching? It looks so nice and smooth.

    You should have it done in record time,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how the raw edge makes it look, wish I had done that to make mine more prim.


    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great wall hanging. Never done raw edge (umm never finished anything with raw edge!) but is washing necessary?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's darling! Good job there. I've never done raw edge...must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great Paulette. I have not done raw edge appliqué and have a big project that will never get finished unless I do that method.
    I also have the Dasher & Dancer pattern, so now I may just try raw edge on that first.
    Thanks for the great post on this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love raw edge, mostly mine is a mess, but it's a lot of fun, and I actually complete things! gasp!!! love how yours turned out, esp. the little birds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute. It's not a technique I've ever tried as I think the edges would drive me mad and I'd keep trying to pick off the loose threads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your method of attack on your deer wall hanging/table runner. Very doable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The latest health thing is to stand more and sit less. (as I sit here on my computer-ha-ha) I do try to stretch several times a day. It has helped my upper back pain. Re: arthritic hands...Just the usual; Ben Gay, a warm soak. Not much we can do.
    God Bless,
    Grandma Sue

    ReplyDelete